HISTORY OF THE CEMETERY
In 1847 Charles Medlin (1807-1864) and his wife Matilda (Allen) migrated from Missouri with their household and 20 other families to take up land grants on Denton Creek.
Also in the wagon train and colony were Charles Medlin's widowed mother and his brother Lewis.
Floods broke up the first Medlin settlement, at times called "Garden Valley." Moving to higher grounds in this vicinity, the settlers formed a new neighborhood that was to
grow into the town of Roanoke (1.5 miles west). Charles Medlin's daughter Mittie Ann (Born 1828) admired the beauty of this hill, saying she would like to be buried here. The cemetery was opened at her death in April 1850.
Her parents, 13 brothers and sisters, and many other close relatives also rest here along with neighbors and others from the locality.
This is one of the oldest cemeteries in Denton county.
In 1900 James W. Medlin, son of the original land donors, Charles and Matilda Medlin, enlarged the area to more than ten acres, and began selling lots to bring in maintenance funds.
Medlin Cemetery Association was formed in 1947. A new access boulevard and other improvements were provided for this cemetery in the 1970s. (1977)